Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Monkey Business

For the newest addition to my family, Baby Boy Wright, I was commissioned to create a custom slipcover, inspired by the traditional colors of a Sock Monkey, to cover his older sister's crib bumper pad.
.
Mama Aubrey looked around at baby boy bedding options and wanted less of a theme and more style than the stores were offering. Her daughters bumper was a designer brand and in excellent condition, so she found some fabric that she liked online with ease. She passed along the fabric to me as well as her vision for the nursery and her confidence in my design and sewing skills.
.
After a week of head scratching, way more math than I am used to, two spools of thread, and a lot of love for that baby and his family, I completed a one-of-a-kind crib bumper.
.
In order to both maintain the functionality of the old bumper for future use as well as hide the ties and piping from the old bumper, I covered it in 100% cotton batting first. Then I used 2 yards of three different fabrics, french seams, a quick turn tool, a rotary cutter, a tape measurer (the bumper was 154' long!), and my Janome to actualize what Aubrey envisioned.
.
The bumper slipcover features snaps along bottom to allow for ease when taking it off and putting it back on after laundering and 9 pairs of ties along the top and bottom.
.
I am looking forward to seeing it surround a new life with softness and style.
..